A lot of players trying to find out how to win Omaha 8 poker draws one the same conclusion as it does any other 8-4 draw: it’s all about bad beats. That’s right, when you’re winning and have high pockets such as AQ, and you get a little help from the board, you can really get close to the top of the chip ladder. But if you’re losing, well, that’s just the way it goes. You can’t let your emotions get in the way of this one, though, so set aside a side pot to where you emotionally feel comfortable.
Many of the top pros tell stories about how they got hot and heavy with AJ suited, and then crumbled and got disciplined and switched to 1010 just to stick around, and that’s probably the best advice you can get at low-limit holdem. You don’t want to go all-in and only lose the blinds, which hurts the most. This is especially true of the new players that are coming up on the stakes ladder. They try hard and it pays off for them, but they can get out of control and just want a big hand. This is especially true of new players that are easy to take advantage of.
This is especially true with online poker rooms because they have the option to spectator a game while you play on your computer. If you want to take notes on how the other players at the poker table are playing, this is the spot for you. Also, unlike satellite games, you have the option to witness the play at the poker table from chairs away, which is a great perk. You were probably thinking about getting a poker table to add onto your home game room, but this is a great way to get it done.
Of course, the question is, will you be able to pick up on any of these little “tells” that make playing Omaha 8 poker more profitable? While you can’t pick up the exact hand you just played or check to see if the person you just called is holding their seat, you can analyze the way your opponents are betting.
It’s easy to do in online poker because you have a window constantly open showing you what the best possible hand is, and you never have to take your eyes off the cards to check. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. I for one don’t like doing lots of things at once, but if you’re focusing too much on your hand you’re going to miss what’s going on in the other tables/casino. For example, you’re watching TV, while playing at the casino. You’re missing out on vital info being shown on the screen.
Also, if you’re not paying attention to the other players at the table, you’re giving away vital information on your betting patterns. Don’t think you’ll play great cards if you never take a look at the other players.As easy as it is to stay focused on your own hand, that’s just as easy for your opponents to do the same thing. That’s why you need to observe your opponents and beat them at their own game. If they’re playing loose, you’re playing tight. If they’re playing tight, you’re playing loose.
you’ll be a solid poker player in no time
This is the basis for the advice in No Limit Holdem that I call “The Call anything Bet gamblers drive home rule.” Once you learn this No Limit Holdem lesson, you’ll be a solid poker player in no time. The moment you get a solid basic strategy down, you’ll be a bonafide force to be reckoned with on the tournament scene. Here’s how I teach it:
- You need to define yourterm.Your term is your strategy, it is what you are going to bet, call or raise with. You define yourterm when you are playing a strong game or a weak game.
- You need to remember your position.If you are in first position, you have a big decision to make pre-flop, on the button or the flop. Remember where you are and what position you are in and have a decision to make…up to you.
- Make sure you takewalecall to move your screen off the button to your left.ervation is important, especially if you are in early position. Let people know you are thinking about your cards and what you will do.
- Get used to this.It will take some time, but get used to this. Poker is about betting, so if you are betting and someone raises, you have a decision to make.
- Remember you are playing a losing game, once a hand is over, you have lost money, it doesn’t matter how many times you call that raise or re-raise.